IRRIGATION IN SPAIN
Surfaces, systems, crop
- The irrigable area comprises 3,828 Mha, which is equivalent to 16% of the agricultural area used in the country.
- Spain is the sixteenth country in the world with the largest irrigated area, and the second largest in the European Union.
- Drip irrigation is the main irrigation system, covering 53% of the irrigable area.
- Cereals are the crops that represent the largest proportion of irrigable area, followed by olive groves, vineyards and fruit trees.
- Since the beginning of the 21st century, Spain has invested 3,815 M€ in the modernization of more than 1.5 Mha of irrigated land.